[vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space][vc_column_text]It’s exhausting. And if you’re anything like me, thinking about trying to fit workouts into your already overly-packed schedule just makes you more tired.
That’s the opposite of what you should do though. When you don’t have enough energy to make it through the day, that’s when you know you should probably add more activity to your life! Here are three reasons you need to make sure you’re making fitness a priority in your life when you’re an entrepreneur.
1. “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. And happy people don’t kill their husbands. They just don’t.”
– Well, Elle Woods….when you’re right, you’re right. And while your situation may not be quite as dramatic as being accused of killing your husband, it’s still true that when you’re happy, you’re less likely to lose your temper at your family (or clients), and you’re more likely to be able to deal with the stress that comes from being an entrepreneur in a more efficient fashion. When you’re exercising regularly, you’ll feel better, you’ll think better, and you’ll work better.
2. Sitting causes cancer.
– Clickbait-y as that statement may seem, it’s actually true. In this study, released in 2015 by the American Cancer Society, researchers found that for women, at least, sitting for six or more hours in a day increases the risk of certain types of cancer by almost 10%. That’s a lot, y’all. I don’t know about you, but I am not about that life. This point alone is one of the reasons I decided to start walking 3-4 times per week, and have a standing desk.
3. Exercising regularly will make you want to drink more water.
– Everyone knows that you’re supposed to be drinking a minimum of 64 oz of water per day, but a LOT of people really struggle with getting that much down. From those with whom I’ve spoken, it seems the main reason people don’t get enough water is simply that they don’t feel thirsty enough, or don’t crave it. But adding more physical activity into your day, especially if you’re able to get your workouts done outside, will put you more in tune to your body in general, and will help you recognize when you need water, and actually begin to crave it. Water is like sleep – when you get enough of it, everything functions better!!
Not quite sure how to start? Don’t worry, you’re not alone! Here are a couple of tips to help you ease into incorporating more fitness into your busy life!
- Get a standing desk for your office. Or, if you’re unable to do that, take your computer into the kitchen and work standing up at your counter for a couple of hours a day! You don’t have to stand all day, but taking a little bit of time to stand each day will help with your posture, circulation, and general well-being. Give it a try!
- Start walking at least 3-4 times per week. Whether you’re brand new to the any kind of fitness routine, or you’ve been working out hard-core for years, adding some easy, low-impact walks into your day will be amazing! Aim to start with 30 minutes for each walk, and go at a pace that feels comfortable to you. You can always build up your speed and length as your endurance grows.
- When you’re working and start to feel yourself struggling to focus, or getting a bit lethargic, hop up and do 25 jumping jacks! That will get your blood moving, get more oxygen to your brain, and re-energize you!
Do you have a great workout tip for entrepreneurs, or questions about how to get started? I’d love to hear it! Reach out to me on Twitter![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]